Sustainability Learning Community
During the Fall 2020 semester, the Office of Campus Sustainability launched the first Wayne State Sustainability Learning Community- an exciting opportunity for students with interest in sustainability to engage more with the field of work. Students participating in Sustainability Learning Communities have opportunities for active learning in small-group settings, which will include weekly hangouts, discussion groups, EcoTalks, review sessions, outings, internships and career events. Members of the learning community will deepen their understanding of urban sustainability and have opportunities to expand their networks through interaction with practitioners in the greater urban Detroit community. Students will learn about career paths for Environmental Science majors and minors, and have access to academic support to synthesize information from these courses. If you are interested in joining a Sustainability Learning Community, visit this page to find which ones are available and how to sign up for them.
For the Fall 2021 semester, two classes are being offered with the option of joining a Sustainability Learning Community- BIO 3500 and ESG 1500. If you are interested in participating in these Learning Communities, reach out to your respective professor and they will be able to provide more information on how to join.
Living Learning Community
The Sustainability Living Learning Community (Sustainability LLC) provides the opportunity for Wayne State University students from any major to live in on-campus housing with other students from diverse backgrounds who are interested in learning how to personally live in a manner that supports ecologically, socially, and economically healthy environments and communities. The Sustainability LLC will connect students who share an interest in learning more about local and global sustainability issues and how to live a more sustainable lifestyle. For the 2021-2022 academic year, the Sustainability LLC will be located in Chatsworth Suites. To apply for this LLC, visit the WSU Housing website for more information.
Advantages of joining the Sustainability LLC:
- Integration with a diverse set of students on campus with sustainability interests to create an engaged and active community
- Special programs, events, and activities geared towards the Sustainability LLC
- Access to academic partners across campus who share sustainability interests
Eligibility for the Sustainability LLC:
- First-year student to Wayne State for Fall 2021
- Planning to live in a residence hall on campus
- Interest in learning more about sustainability and living a more sustainable lifestyle
Requirements for joining the Sustainability LLC:
- Complete the WSU Housing application and select Sustainability LLC
- Live on the Sustainability LLC floor in Chatsworth Suites
- Enrollment in ESG 1500 Introduction to Environmental Science for fall 2021
- Complete 10 hours of approved community service per semester
- Follow the Sustainability LLC agreement in the Sustainability LLC application
If you have any questions about becoming part of the Sustainability LLC, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow the Healthy Living LLC agreement in the Healthy Living LLC application