The Office of Campus Sustainability is devoted to upholding the three pillars of sustainability- environment, economy, and community- through engaging, collaborative, and leadership initiatives across campus and around the Detroit area. Our office has expanded greatly in the past few years with the inclusion of student ambassador Compost Warriors and Green Warriors who both cultivate and foster a sustainable environment within our campus community. We have also partnered with many other groups across campus, including the WSU Grounds Services, the Custodial department, and other partners within the Facilities Planning and Management department. Our office uses the United Nation's 17 Sustainable Development Goals to set the standards at which we develop initiatives and programs across our campus. The devotion to these areas of sustainability can be better explored in our goals below:
The Office of Campus Sustainability, campus stakeholders, and community partners collectively undertake the implementation of environmental excellence within facility operations, design and construction, innovation, scholarly activities, campus programs, community and K-12 outreach, as well as other initiatives serving the campus community.
Wayne State University will be a leader among urban research universities in research, education, information, operations and activities related to environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
Collaboration – Integrity – Innovation – Excellence – Diversity and Inclusion
The institution's guiding values identified in the strategic plan meld the campus community together across all disciplines, cultures, and objectives. Working within these values, the development of this plan incorporated the following:
- Sustainability decision-making, operations, and outcomes should be transparent to the University community;
- Work responsibly to ensure environmental, economic, and social stewardship of Wayne State University activities;
- Strive toward the intersection of research, education and campus operations;
- Embrace and promote sustainable waste reduction and conservation techniques in all aspects of the University function;
- Embrace the University's strategic planning focus areas in working with the campus community on sustainability initiatives;
- Develop sustainability programming for the campus community that includes tangible outcomes based on metrics that include data collection, analysis and life-cycle thinking;
- WSU sustainability initiatives serve as a resource for the surrounding community and urban communities as a whole;
- To promote environmental literacy to the campus community in all aspects of campus life.